View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 08:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Gee, that is frustrating to have family members pass such judgments and to do it in such a way deserves the getting up and leaving their company.

In my world, texting while in the presence of others during a visiting situation is beyond rude and deserves that being brought to their attention. Mind you, I may be old fashioned in that respect, as that behavior seems to have become acceptable these days. Thus I said, in my world.

I have a couple of signs at my office that depict a cell phone with a red circle around it and a line running through the middle of it; indicating that use of such is not permitted in the clinic. One is on the entrance door and another is in the waiting area. There is another sign on my treatment session door that explicitly says, "Please turn off cell phones/ring tones." Yet, there are still those who do not get the message.
Honestly...very few people are needing to have them on during all hours. Even most doctors (when they are not on call), respect the signs when they come to the office.

I find it disheartening to hear them go off, because I know that the individual is then distracted. If they choose to respond to it, I remind them why we have made the request and then I leave the room while they engage the call.
Hey, its their $60.00 for every half hour of my time, and if they want to spend it chatting on the phone, that is their choice.

Although I wouldn't wish what we go through on anyone, it is sometimes very interesting to observe how some 'able-bodied' individuals deal with and complain about a temporary health issue, isn't it? Especially the ones who seem to have little understanding or compassion when it comes to others.

Erin,
Do you skype? Maybe you could skype with your boyfriend and/or even your friend. Sometimes that is easier than actually being together, and it could be beneficial to everyone.

I do understand the being cooped up for weeks on end as being rough. After a while (days not weeks for me), I feel like some of my brain cells, the ones that have to do with consciousness and thinking, have passed on .
Watching TED talks and doing some brain stimulation stuff like Lumosity on the computer helps, but sometimes the motivation and/or ability to that is lacking.
When I can't go out much, I come here (Notice that I've been here a lot lately?), send a few emails to people that I haven't chatted with in a while, take courses on line, design my next year's garden...anything to engage in something besides navel gazing and self focus. It helps. It really does.

Hope that you find an outlet or two that works for you.

With love, Erika
Erika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (11-24-2013), Debbie D (11-25-2013), SallyC (11-25-2013)