View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default tests

The isoproteronol also gives you that pounding heart beat and that fight or flight feeling, but beyond. They informed me it would feel icky, but I would be fine. Yes, I had mine in a hospital, with a crash cart, cardiologist and several nurses nearby...and an IV in. They are prepared for any contingency, and really, I felt pretty confident they could manage it....they really watched my EKG and vital signs...they don't take it lightly. Altho I felt icky, it was over pretty fast, once they got the info they needed, that was it. Over.

Some people with autonomic neuropathy have profound cardiac changes when the GI system is stimulated, such as, getting hypotension after eating, called 'post prandial' hypotension. I do get that at times.) I take erythromycin a very small dose to stimulate my stomach to empty....but that can cause a prolonged QT syndrome in some people (arrhythmia). I can't take metoclopromide (Reglan) as it is antidopaminergic. So all I can take is the E-mycin, and I don't take it if I don't think I need it as one develops a tolerance after a while.

I don't know what GI testing you are having...but for 'gastric emptying time' you have to down some 'stew' pretty fast, and then they take pictures until it disappears into your intestine. For 'transit time' all you do is swallow a capsule and come back for an 'xray.' I didn't have any other GI tests other than colonoscopy and the aformentioned two. I know there are more tests they can do, but this was all they needed for me at the time.....I am hoping they don't scope my esophagus and stomach....but that is probably down the line somewhere. I think the nastiest part, and every one gets to do this sooner or later, is downing that drink to clean you out for a colonoscopy...it is just so darn much to get down...it doesn't taste all that bad, it is just getting it all down when you have gastroparesis! I didn't have enough room! The actual scoping isn't too bad...some people don't feel a thing!
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote