View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygopetalum View Post
I returned yesterday for a routine CT scan follow up and he said "What meds are you on?" He doesn't chart things that he feels are trivial either.
Routine CT scan? The first time I was given a CT scan, I was told by ER staff that it was "like an x-ray". After the fact I learned that that was "not entirely accurate."* The scan dose of CTs can be hundreds to thousands of times the radiation of a typical x-ray.

In some cases, the potential benefits outweigh the risk; in others there are other scanning methods that are safer.

You are probably aware of all this; it just raises my hackles when (I perceive) doctors order/use CT scans so cavalierly.

Quote:
He's very into 'evidence based medicine', if he can't test for it or it isn't the most likely scenario as far as he is concerned it does not exist.
I get that to a point. Doctors are trained to think that way—to verify or rule out the most likely cause/reason, and work outward from there. (We see this often in the PN forum.) How far to go (or not to go) can be a tough call for anyone. I often/usually lean toward 'most likely scenarios' vs. 'remotely possible' ones myself. I often opine in posts when I think something is more/less likely. However I try not to go so far as dismissing something as non-existent/impossible.

Things can look very different depending on which side of the fence we're on.

Doc

* One of my favorite movie quotes—this one from Independence Day (a little past halfway down the page).

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (11-27-2013)