Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Here it is-

[Dracaena

There are many different varieties of the drcaena that are commonly used as house plants. Currently I have three of them in my home:
Dracaena fragrans "Massangeana" - picture on the left. it is also known as "corn plant"
Dracaena surculosa "Florida Beauty"
Dracaena marginata

These plants create very nice display when their foliage looks neat and healthy. My dracaena surculosa flowers every year - the plant is very bushy and at some point it gives long thin shot with insignificant whitish flowers. At first I didn't even notice the flowers and discover them only because of their strong fragrance (I thought somebody spilled something on the carpet).

Dracaenas are pretty much forgiving plants. The best care for them - keep their soil evenly moist, not too wet, not soggy and never let the root ball dry out. If over- or underwatered - the leaves might drop or become yellow, but any time you can cut back any part of the plant - new fresh growth will appear in no time.
The bright light without strong direct sun is preferrable, but if there isn't such place in your house - don't worry, dracaena will survive virtually any lighting conditions. Although if you have plant with colored leaves (like Dracaena surculosa) - be prepared - the leaves might turn green if there is not enough light.

Easiest way to propagate dracaenas - from cuttings. They root successfully in a glass with water, plant rooted cutting in the tropical mix soil and keep the soil moist all the time. Don't overpot them - small dracaena in a huge pot won't feel comfortable, they like to be somewhat potbound, but also re-pot it if the roots are sticking out of the pot.

Dracaenas do like some humidity in the air and will appreciate if you will mist them with room-temperatured water or give them shower from time to time.]

http://www.hplants.com/dracaena.htm