Old 11-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineD View Post
Happy Thanksgiving, a day late, MrsD. Thanks for your support and care.

My copper supplement arrived this morning, so now we'll see if that makes any difference.

It 'could' but as a general rule all I've read about copper deficiency and PN is that it 'stops' the progression to take the supplement…but doesn't reverse the damage. My PN isn't progressing, and hasn't since it was found 3.5 years ago.

My guess is I do have this copper deficiency, but it isn't the cause of my PN.

Several 'alternative medicine' experts believe Proton Pump Inhibitors interfere with copper absorption, and I've taken Omeprazole daily for 10 years. So that could be the cause for sure. The problem is that I cannot find any more mainstream research or results connecting PPI's to copper deficiency.

I'll start the copper and get retested in three months, so we can see if the copper supplement corrects my deficiency and go from there.

I'll mention the possibility of a connection between the PPI and copper deficiency to my Neurologist, as well.

Again, thanks for being there. You are a mainstay to many, and such a voice of knowledge, reason and compassion.

Hugs, Elaine
You might want to try the cherries! they are really something wonderful. I don't need any OTC pain relief at all since the weekend. It took about 3 days to start working though.

Copper is useful for maintaining the integrity of the discs in the spine. I saw papers years ago suggesting low copper levels lead to ruptured discs.

I saw on a website a while back where one doctor was generalizing on "trace" minerals being affected by PPIs.
This I guess is because most of the minerals so far are divalent ++ (calcium, magnesium, zinc.)

There is no guarantee your supplement will work in the presence of the PPIs lowering acid. So you will need retesting.
I'd ask for a copper/zinc ratio blood work too. Too much copper will lower zinc ...so that needs to be done too.

I could not find PPI papers with other minerals. That just means the studies have not been done yet.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote