View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 04:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizanti View Post
Hi!

I heard that meformin aids weight loss. I have been taking generic metformin, but I haven't lost weight. Maybe it's the brand and dosage?

My doctor prescribed my met once a day, but another doctor told me to take twice daily at 500mg each.

Did anyone of you lose weight because of metformin? What brand did you use and at what dosage?

By the way, I'm diabetic that's why am taking met.
Hi Krizanti,

When I was first put on Metformin, it made me sick. Changed to the extended release form (Metformin ER) and it was much better tolerated. I have been on it for almost 7 years, taking 2000 mg per day, the max allowed. I have not lost a single pound from taking it. (Wish I had) During those 7 years, additional meds have been added. NONE have caused weight loss. Some have caused weight gain. Since my diet and activity level remained constant, and the only change was additional meds, I concluded that the meds caused the gain. Wish I could blame ALL of my excess weight on medication but only a very few pounds can I blame on scripts.

My pharmacy changes the manufacturer on occasion and I do see some differences. The most notable difference is the size of the pill itself. The effectiveness is also slightly variable between manufacturers.

Back to your question...... NO weight loss from any of the generic versions of the Metfomin ER that I have taken.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote