Thread: Adult Hydro
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 05:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl1n View Post
Hi to everybody
From most of the information I have found regarding hydro there seems to be very little on adult hydro. I was 24 when they first found I had hydro and had surgery to have a shunt inserted the same year. Things were going 'OK' until this year.
I have had 3 surgeries this year and things are still far from good. The dr's believe they have fixed the problem, I beg to differ. I was having pain prior to my first op at age 24 but was told everything from growing pains to hypochondria. Even to the point of being institutionalised 'cos there is just no way he could be in that amount of pain, so he must be nuts'. Then one day I'm driving down the road and the lights went out, couldn't see. Pulled up called the wife and went to emergency, where they did a scan and found a nasty growing in my head. It seems this thing is deep within the brain and not safe to remove, it is putting pressure on the aquaduct and therefore causing hydro. After my first operation I tried to get answers, none were forthcoming. I learnt how to manage my pain ie medication, rest, meditation, physiotherapy and I feel I was doing as I say "OK".
But since the end of January things have been bad, very bad and oh my god. None of my previous management tools are working. In between surgeries I returned to work, but after the latest operation in August I have not been able to. My only hope is that the operation in August was to place a variable valve in the shunt line to try and regulate the pressures and that it is these pressures that are causing the immense pain. Here's hoping.

As I say Ive seen lots of info from parents of kids with Hydro and from people who were diagnosed as babies/newborns, but are there many/any who were adults when hydro was diagnosed??
I have been diagnosed at 29 but haven't been able to yet find a doctor who is well informed with hydrocephalus or able to tell me what plan of action they want to take. I am having a cisternogram next week to see if there is a blockage. But I do have to travel because my area doesn't have one single neurosurgeon that does brain. Nor are any of the neurologists familiar with hydrocephalus. They all say it's not common for my age.

My symptoms were migraines, double vision and numbness in my face.

I do hope that you find some relief soon.
ennairb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote