View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 06:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Intro Suspect I have TOS but advice on where to go for diagnosis

My history.

I am 33 and I have been dealing with this for 4+ years and have had ups and downs.

I was working at a job where I would spend long days in IT at a computer in a very non ergonomic workstation.

It has been so long it is hard to remember where it started. What I can remember is that my right arm burned and hand felt very cold after a period of time at the computer. After a few weeks of switching things around with my workstation and trying all sorts of other recommendations the burning began to show up in my other arm as well and be more unrelenting.

After about 9 months to working through this it reached a point where the pain was so strong that I could not continue to work. I could not sleep I could not brush my own teeth, I could not brush my own hair because the burning was so intense. My little finger on my right hand was numb and my thumb and forefinger on my left had hand had an odd sensation. Carrying anything or doing something as simple as pressing a button on the remote control to turn on the TV was painful.

During this time I was being kicked around from Dr to Dr. By Workers Comp. All of which seemed to have no idea what could be wrong. The neurologist I was sent to was my age and brand new to the field. She ran every blood test known to man, ordered an emg,MRIs, and all came back negative which she was surprised by as was I especially on the emg with how screwed up my nerves felt. She prescribed PT for "Thoracic outlet?" And placed me of restrictions from working. I could not physically work any longer and the thoracic outlet was actually my question to her based on research I had done. That was what was written on the RX it was also the last time I saw that Dr as I was referred to a rheumatologist, than sent by the insurance company to an orthopedist who observed a reduction in sensitivity but after two visits said he did not know what it was that it might be fibromyalgia and referred me to a physiatrist. The physiatrist said it was not fibromyalgia and suggested more pt as I informed him it seemed to have helped. He also prescribed Lyrica and over time escalated the dosage to 300mg I could tell I was making minor improvements from the rest and first two rounds of PT and the Lyrica helped to the point that self care was possible. WC than did not approve any further PT and after 6 more months of me sitting on the couch I was sent to a month long pain clinic where my dose of Lyrica was increased to 450 and I was deemed to have reached my maximum medical improvement and tossed out of WC. One thing that the pain clinic taught me was that "cardio" was key for pain management and I continued that. I returned to work and while a shadow of my former self was able to be minimally productive enough to keep my job at least now with short days and no OT. I was referred back to the local physiatrist for continuing care.

After about 12 months back to limited work and continuing the extensive cardio I was doing I was able reduce my Lyrica down to 150 mg and that was enough to cover the burning sensation. 6 months later I reduced down to 50 mg however I had to discontinue the cardio I had been doing because of newly developed knee problems. I than removed my self from Lyrica felt pretty good and fell back into my old habits.

Fast forward to today. In April of this year the burning sensation in my arms began to return and I was placed immediately back on Lyrica and ratcheted the dosage back up to 450 which has allowed me to continue working. I also reintroduced the cardio regime not quite as extensive because my knee won't handle it but I do as much as I can and vary machines to make it work. I know find myself again at a point where the burning in my arms is not covered by the Lyrica. I fear I will be unable to continue working and my wife and two children will not be adequately provided for.

I need advice on where to go for a good diagnostic of my condition in the "Chicagoland" area, I live in Northwest Indiana. I would also be willing to travel if there is not a good place local.
Cgrieger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote