View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 11:38 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Three year anniversary of my TBI - gratitude

It was the Monday after Thanksgiving in 2010 that I sustained my TBI. Seems a good time to reflect on the reasons to give thanks this holiday season.

There are five weeks for which I have no memory, including Thanksgiving that year (retrograde amnesia) through Christmas/New year’s (post traumatic amnesia). I can celebrate my recovery progress over the following months; periodic assessments from my clinical neuropsychologist:

12/30/2010
Patient’s speech was fluent, but paraphasic with notable word finding difficulties. He misreported his age as 40. He was unable to follow a 3-step command but was able to follow some 2-step commands. He registered 3 of 3 words, but could not recall any with distraction, or identify any when provided with multiple choice cues. The patient produced some confused speech and numerous paraphasic errors. He reports difficulties with memory and decision making. He does display an aphasic disturbance as well as some confusion and difficulties with attention and memory.”

1/24/2011
On evaluation, this bright motivated gentleman has many preserved skills; however he does show significant difficulties with visuospatial learning and recall, as well as mental flexibility and multitasking. He displays weaknesses in aspects of executive system functioning (retrieval of learned information, mental flexibility, abstract reasoning, problem solving, and verbal fluency).”

4/26/2011
On examination, the patient demonstrated intact cognition in all domains assessed including learning and memory, attention, processing speed, language skills and executive functions. He has shown an excellent recovery from his severe injury only five months ago. From a cognitive standpoint there are no concerns with respect to the patient returning to work full time or returning to driving

I will always remain grateful to all who enabled my recovery and encouraged and empowered me to return to a normal life.

A public thanks to: Scott Petersen MD, trauma surgery; Steve Chang MD, neurosurgery; Michael Sochacki MD, orthopedic surgery; Christine Kwasnica MD and Suzanne Kelley NP, neurorehabilitation. Happy Thanksgiving, I am grateful to you all.

I remain grateful to all family and friends who visited me during and after the hospital stay, and for all your prayers and well wishes.

Most of all, love and gratitude to Karen, my wife and caregiver. You were (and are) a rock of love and support.
What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.

Last edited by Lightrail11; 12-02-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Eowyn (12-02-2013), Mokey (12-17-2013)