View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 05:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default perforated sinus draining a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi snowbomb,

I would recommend that you see an oral surgeon as they have a lot more experience in treating this type of thing.

Treatment to close a sinus perforation depends on the size of the opening as well as the health of the sinus and the jawbone in that area. Infection in either area can cause complications and delay healing.

Some small sinus perforations close on their own but others may not. To avoid further problems, it is important to have this re evaluated and if necessary, receive treatment as soon as possible.

Keep us posted...
Bryanna
Hi Bryanna,
I have seen a lot of your recommendations and I am hoping you can help me!
10 days ago i had both of my top wisdom teeth extracted. I needed to have one done as it was impacted and infected and needed to go (i am 30 yrs old) so i got both done just so the other wouldn't cause any issues later in lfe. After the procedure i was sent home to heal. About 3 days after the procedure i started have horrible pain in my sinus on the side of the previous impacted tooth. I also had fluid running from my nose to my mouth. I called the oral surgeon and the nurse insisted i had perforated sinus.. told me to not sneeze or blow my nose, no more salt rinse, and basically to just take the antibiotics for an additional week. It's now been 10 days since surgery... i dont have much pain, nor has any fluid moved through the whole, but there is a white discharge that looks and smells like infection.. and its continuously running out of the whole and down my throat. I went back to the oral surgeon today, and he basically laughed at me when i told him i thought it was infected. He said that it's mucus and mucus smells that way. I asked about the perforated sinus and it draining into my mouth, and he said he had to put a hole in my mouth to get the tooth out... That if it's not hurting and nothing passing through it that it's fine.

I guess my question is.. is this normal? Does mucus usually continually flow through this hole 10 days after surgery? Does it smell like infection?

I have been on 200 mg of clindamyacin for the past 10 days.. and it's been draining pretty constant since day 5. I am really concerned as I have heard of big issues that can arise if this heals while infected, but i dont want to go back to my oral surgeon again bc he basically told me today that i was over reacting and i have nothing to worry about... i was going to go for a second opinion but i dont have dental insurance so I already owe a lot for this procedure.

Appreciate any help you can give me!
angmarenardon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote