View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 09:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default concussion/TBI/PCS/HELP!!

I am so relieved to have found this website. I no longer feel crazy with all these strange symptoms; every day I wake up, I think I can shake this thing but I am quickly reminded there IS something wrong with me!!

My 2 children and I were struck from another car going through a red light, going about 50, spun us around and we landed facing the opposite direction. Needless to say, it was a scary event. Of course my main concern was my daughter in rear passenger seat and my son sitting next to me. He was fine, my daughter suffered a mild concussion and facial injury. Thank GOD she is fine, however she is scared of cars. We are working through this with a child psychologist.

I was not treated at the hospital that evening although I did have a massive headache and felt sick, I dismissed it as stress from accident. The next day, I experienced nausea, headache, dizziness and confusion. My son suggest I go to the ER to get checked out. I had a CT scan (negative) and was diagnosed with TBI/concussion/whip lash. Although I do not remember hitting my head, the jerking of the brain was enough to cause such injury. Then the symptoms started...this is where I felt as if an alien was taking over my body, slowly, one strange symptom at a time...my headaches were every day and sometimes unbearable, blurred vision, sensitivity to light and sound, ringing in the ears all the time which made it hard to hear, yet I can't stand loud noises. I also experienced memory loss, dizziness, fatigue, slow and slurred speech, delayed speech where I can't think of words. My husband says I am constantly describing it with hands and words but can't get the word out. I also feel depressed daily, cry a lot and feel anxious all the time. I am easily irritable and can't handle 2 or more people talking at one time. I also have muscle twitching/spasms throughout my body and face. My first finger on right side sometimes shakes uncontrollably. I am not able to sleep well at night either due to nightmares or just can't sleep.
on top of concussion symptoms, I also have problems with my neck, shoulder and hip since the accident.
I am lucky to be in the care of a Concussion Clinic referred by my primary physician. At the clinic, I see an OT for vision, speech, memory, PT for neck, shoulder and hip, Psychologist for anxiety, depression and PTSD and a NP for headaches, sleep, medication.
I have been out of work since July and I am not able to drive. I was working full-time and attending grad school pt the past 4 years for Early Childhood Special Education; in fact I only had 1 teaching placement with Kindergartners and I would be done!!! Now my life has been put on hold. It helps to see my psychologist every 2 weeks to talk about my recovery, and talk about my nightmares and disturbing thoughts all related to the accident.
Thank you for sharing all of your stories. It feels like a support group, where I can come to this and remember I am not alone.
adougall70 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote