View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 11:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Brain Injury

Hello!

Welcome here. This is a nice place.

I quit thinking of my brain injury as a concussion, because what we have is a brain injury. The doctors don't know just why PCS happens for some of us, but it does. And the MRIs are not powerful enough to show what is torn in our brains, but your symptoms will tell you that your brain is hurt.

The injured brain needs a low stress environment to heal. You have to be willing to live a boring life for awhile to let it heal. Also, brain healing is slow and no one can say for sure how long it takes to heal. We each heal differently.

To promote brain healing, yes, rest. Also check out the vitamins thread. You can also help your brain heal with vitamins and supplements. I am a big believer in that.

As for exercise and activities, the trick is to learn to do gentle things like walking, or stretches. If you OVERdo it, you can get symptoms back.

I have recovered from most all of my symptoms, but I still don't dare run or push my exercise too hard. I do get symptoms again -- light sensitivty and sound issues when I have done too much and I am 10 months in.

I hope this helps and that you take it easy on yourself. The way to fight PCS is to really learn how to relax and rebuild your life slowly.

All for now,

poetrymom

Symptoms I had: dizziness, light and sound sensitivity, fatigue, tinitis, occasional headaches and migraines,

Symptoms as of 5--2013: poor sleep, tinitis, some confusion /short term memory blanks, balance. The other symptoms are mostly gone, but flare up if I OVERdo something.

Therapy I had: vestibular

3 months in: I could drive more and for longer distances. I felt like a younger, happier version of myself and I feel so blessed to have this feeling.

9 months in and I am working full time. I do get tired, and some sound and light sensitivity from time to time, but mostly I am over most of my symptoms.
I pray every day and I m praying for your recovery.

Over a year in: I can multi task (limited) and have humor in my life. But when I am tired, I am very tired.
poetrymom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote