View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 08:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks MrsD. I was pretty sure the PPI worked all the time once you had it in your system, and time of day was totally immaterial for taking it or for avoiding its effects.

Yes, I think the doctor just didn't want to think 'hard' about the issue and probably knows better at some level, but really has a typical knee jerk medical response to say something, anything, and move along.

And of course copper deficiency is so rare, he hasn't encountered is often, if at all in his practice.

The other issue with PPIs and copper absorption is that it isn't addressed in the standard research literature, only by the alternative medical folks. That's not to say it isn't an issue. In fact, I rather imagine that it may well be. In fact it may be at the heart of my copper deficiency.

Copper deficiency is mostly found these days in the US in people who have had gastric bypass. It shows up about 10 years out. Perhaps just having MORE copper available with supplementation will allow more of it to be absorbed and solve my deficiency.

I'm rather between the rock and the hard place with the PPI intake as I have severe osteoarthritis and take Naproxen Sodium for pain, as well as Cymbalta. I cannot take RX pain meds due to negative reactions.

As always I appreciate your attention to this unusual issue.

I also have CVID, a Primary Immune Deficiency Disorder. In that "world" we call ourselves Zebras. Doctors learn to look for the most obvious answer. "If you hear hoofbeats, looks for horses, not zebras". But sometimes the hoofbeats ARE from zebras.

Hugs, Elaine
ElaineD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote