Thread: Adult Hydro
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 07:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey Ennairb,
Thanks for the reply, I too have found that it has been difficult to obtain information regarding adult onset as it is not that common, hence my question. I'm not that far (now) from a capital city where a neurosurgeon and neurologist are available, but I have not received any great answers to my questions from them as it seems that Hydro can have a number of causes and therefore a number of symptoms depending on the location of the blockage.
As for my pain, I don't call them migraines. Just very intense headaches that seem to radiate from a massive pressure behind my eyes. I too have vision problems and facial numbness. One of the dr's told me that migraines are related to blood flow within the brain. He put me on all sorts of migraine medications, none of which were of benefit. My problem is not due to blood flow but the fact that there is a nasty growing in my head blocking the natural flow of CSF and building up pressure. They placed a VP shunt which fractured (or broke), so they inserted a new one but left the broken one in my head, so now I have two tubes in my brain. I have tried to query if this could be the cause of my intense debilitating pain and was accused of attempting to obtain a financial benefit by accusing them of malpractice, which is not my aim at all. I'm only looking for answers and not blame. The way I look at it is, if they didn't operate in the first case, I'd be dead. So there is no blame from me.
If you are lucky enough to find a good neuro try to keep them as I found good ones are hard to find.

I saw a dr yesterday who told me that this is about as good as it will get and that I may never be able to return to work, which I am more than disappointed about.

I hope your tests provide you with a bit more information and that your situation can be resolved or at the very least, your symptoms alleviated. My only real advice is not to get your expectations too high, as I did and came crashing back down to the reality of my situation. If you go in with the idea that they may not be able to do anything, then anything they maybe able to do could be a bonus.

Good luck with it all
Merl1n
Merl1n is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote