Thread: Lab results
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 04:00 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
My Epstein Barr Virus EBNA (IGG) was high at >5. My Epstein Barr Virus VCA IGG was high at 3.60. Do I remember correctly that there is a type of Chronic Epstein Barr Virus? I've tested positive for this several years back and I know the levels can stay with you for life once your have the disease. They did not test the IGM.
Hi Hopeful,

There may be more than one. I have a distant cousin with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) who says it is EBV, and Chronic EBV is one of the alternative names for CFS.

OTOH, other sources draw a distinction (that I haven't figured out yet).

chronic epstein barr virus

Numbers vary, but there seems to be a concensus that most of us have the virus, albeit dormant.

I can speak from personal experience that it can reactivate in a number of ways; HOWEVER, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions because of lab numbers. At least some of the sites I read said that Chronic EBV cannot be DX'd by lab tests—ostensibly because most of us test positive for the virus anyway. A few of the sites also mentioned that CEBV is rare in the West and more common in Asia.

An archive search for "chronic epstein-barr" turned up a half dozen or so hits; oddly none of them in the Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue forum.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hopeful (12-05-2013), mrsD (12-05-2013)