View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 04:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondhandlab View Post
I have been suffering with gerd, stomach pain, change of bowel habit and just about any other gastrointestinal problem you could think of for almost 2 months. I was placed on Prevacid and Sulcrofanate (sp?) and that didn't improve the symptoms much so I had an endoscopy which showed nothing. The dr. told me to double up on the Prevacid and see him in a month. In the meantime, went to gynecologist and he suggested a gluten free diet. Said I had classic gluten sensitivity symptoms. Soooo, I have been on the diet for approximately 3 weeks and my symptoms improved greatly. Everything but the heartburn all but disappeared and that was greatly improved. All of a sudden today my heartburn came back full force and am having spasms of the esophagus. Is this normal? How long can I expect to be on the gluten free diet before I see consistent and sustained improvement?
Hi there, I am the mamma to a rather extreme Celiac. My girl was diagnosed last year and it probably took about 6 months before she felt decent all the time. When we first started pulling the gluten from her diet, she felt relief quite quickly but would still have bouts of extreme "discomfort". We looked at our kitchen for areas that could be cross contaminated and bought her a seperate toaster/seperate condiments etc. It improved somewhat more but she still had periods where she was ill. I made an appointment to see a dietician and found out there is alot of "hidden" gluten in food labels that I didn't know about (both hyrolized plant and animal protien for example). Once we got that straightened out she has felt consistanly better. I find now that the whole family tends to eat gluten free just because it is easier than cooking two meals!!
laurel.1970 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote