Thread: Lab results
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

I found out in kind of a strange roundabout way. I've had (what used to be chronic) migraines since ~10 years ago. I got a cold/virus that included a headache. The cold went away, but the headache didn't. Several years, doctors/neurologists, and medications/treatments later, the ortho that I saw for my spine asked me if I had seen "the headache guy" (a neurologist whose practice is limited solely to headaches/migraine).

After examining me and listening to my story, this neuro asked me three questions. After hearing the answers, he turned around to his file cabinet, pulled out a sheet and handed it to me, and dx'ed my headaches: chronic tension-type headache/migraine complex—sudden onset. He (and the sheet) explained (among other things) that this type of headache is brought about by re-activation of the EBV by another virus—in this case, human rhinovirus. Who'da thunk?

Everything that followed confirmed his dx. No tests were done; like some conditions, this one is determined more by symptoms/empirical evidence.

Quote:
Do you know if most people with neuropathy see an infectious disease doctor?
My guess would be no, because except in a possibly very few rare instances, peripheral neuropathy isn't contagious, unless it's a result/symptom of some disease that is far more overt/serious.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote