View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 06:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterMyNap View Post
Some here know that I am planning to move and that I'm in the throes of looking for where that move will take me. I'm in a little denial about my level of disability and have been steered toward "assisted living" locations.

The thought of a place that smells like 8th grade biology has me in a serious cloud of despair. This is not how my plan was laid out, not what was supposed to become of my life. If I'm destined to be trapped indoors, I guess it doesn't much matter where I land, a bed is a bed.

Sorry, I'm really not that whiney, there is a huge wash of reality staring me in the face, and I think I can hear its evil laughter.
Hello AfterMyNap,
I don't believe we've met before, however you sound quite down right about now. Are you at all self-sufficient? (Sorry, I haven't been reading the boards much) Perhaps a move to a warmer climate would help? My husband and I recently moved from FLA. to GA. due to his emplyment situation. We were given the choices of several cities to choose from. After visiting Chicago, Boston, and Philadelphia in the middle of the winter I made the decision that I wouldn't have been able to tolerate the extreme cold again (I'm originally from the UK), and I am working at the moment.

Have you thought about moving to a city that has a large university? I know that whilst I was training in NYC, I lived with an elderly woman who needed someone to help her out with grocery shopping, laundry, and other household chores. In assisting her, I was able to live with her almost rent free, and we really did enjoy living with one another. To this day we keep in touch with one another.

I just thought that might be an idea to throw out that would let you keep your independence (you seem young and spunky). Don't make any rash decisions before you've looked into every possible avenue. One never knows what's out there until you've exhausted all possibilities. Whatever you do decide to do, I'm sure you will have the backing of your lovely family and friends.

All the best,
Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote