View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 08:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hiya AMN. I'm not sure you're cut out for an ALF. You'd have them dropping like flies from laughter. Not good for the rental turnover...

Seriously. My mom is in a lovely ALF. That being said - she's one of the youngest there at age 65. Same with the previous place she lived at. I think you'd be bored to tears and ticked at the lack of privacy and the lack of independence (eat on their schedule, shower on their schedule, go to Walmart on their schedule, ....)

There are some nice senior communities (for active seniors) that might be more your style. One level, open floorplans filled with active people.

I love the idea of bringing in a college student - nice little symbiotic relationship . There are also active seniors who would love to come help you out for a few bucks - they need the companionship, you need the help.

Just my rambling thoughts after seeing my mom in an ALF for the last couple of years. She won't live with us, and didn't want to live in a senior community on her own with a helper - she wanted the community of being with other people, but at the same time - it makes her sad that most of her friends are 10-20 years older and are losing their minds.

I hope I'm not bringing you down - I think it's smart to think ahead and I know how independent you are. You'll find the right solution for you.
greta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote