View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

How long have you been taking the Neurontin?

I have been on it since 2003 for nerve pain. It's been a miracle drug for me. Years of nerve pain wiped out in one dose. I do know that at that time I was working in the hospital and had talked to a couple of drs. about it and did some research. I had never taken anything stronger than ibuprofen or Tylenol and even those I didn't take often. What I found that really helps is to amp up your dosages slowly. Don't start off with a high dose right away. For me, we started with just 300 mg a day and worked up to 600 mg a day. After a nasty flare, I went up to 900 mg a day but am back down to 600 mg at night. Drink plenty of water and fluids as this will help keep the swelling down. Take it close to a meal or with a meal and include protein with the meal. This definitely helps with side effects such as feeling a little drunk and swelling in addition to some others. These are the best 2 tips I received and I have not had a problem with taking Neurontin, and I'm really sensitive to medications and can't tolerate a lot of medications.

I do have to note, that for me going over the 900 mg a day gives me some not so pleasant side effects. Basically, I get extremely tearful. I would cry at the littlest things. So, 900 mg is my limit with Neurontin.

I hope you start feeling better soon and that your recovery from surgery remains uneventful.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Erika (12-07-2013), Mariel (12-15-2013), SallyC (12-07-2013)