View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 08:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sally, my folks and I have discussed my flying down instead of driving a few times with other trips, but if I am well enough to do that, I'm probably well enough to drive.
I'd have to drive or have someone drive me to the airport that has planes that fly to the town that my folks live in and that is 90 minutes away...heading north (which usually means nasty roads), as opposed to driving south in their direction.

It is also a flight between relatively small towns, so the planes are usually twin prop "puddle jumpers", rather than jets. It makes for a bumpy ride in the north with winter upon us; with the potential of not being able to land at either end due to fog or snow. That means ending up where one started or landing elsewhere, getting loaded onto a bus and then being driven either to motel or to the destination.

Just writing about it, never mind the thought of checking in, waiting around (we need to be there 2 hours before even on these remote domestic flights), boarding (we have to climb a flight of stairs from the tar-mac to the plane), flying, gathering and dragging luggage around when I get there etc...and then doing the whole thing in reverse on the way home is exhausting.

It is actually easier for me to drive if the body is up to it because I can stop whenever I choose, rest, stretch and/or walk around, and then carry on or even grab a hotel room if need be.
There are small towns every 100 miles or so and only two mountain passes to negotiate. There are also highway reports posted along the way to alert drivers regarding the conditions, so its easy to avoid storms or poor road conditions etc, by pulling off and waiting them out or taking a hotel room. I've done that before.

I really doubt that I'll be going though.

With love, Erika
Erika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (12-08-2013), ewizabeth (12-08-2013), Kitty (12-07-2013), SallyC (12-07-2013)