View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 01:05 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Ethical implications of the remote measurement of Parkinson's

Ethical implications of the remote measurement of PD

It seems to me likely that computer systems can be built that in some sense remotely measure a person's Parkinson's. By "remotely" I mean they work from a distance, without a person having to do anything and, possibly, without the knowledge and consent of the people being observed.

Such a system could use photographic, video, audio, keyboard or other data to give a person a Parkinson's score.

Once up and running, the rate at which data could be collected would be breathtaking. Thousands of people could me measured in minutes. For example, 50,000 people at a football match could be photographed; thousands of people passing through airport security could be videoed; millions of web sites could be trawled; tens of millions of telephone calls could be monitored.

Measurement offers great clinical and research benefits:
- It could lead to earlier diagnosis, which in turn would help to identify the etiology of PD;
- It could give detailed measures of progression rates, which might lead to the identification of treatments to slow progression.
- It could assess the symptomatic effect of treatments and identify which ones are most effective.

However, it raises ethical issues. For instance:
- What impact would it have on a person to out of the blue to be told they had a 50% chance of developing PD?
- Suppose you telephone an insurance company to arrange medical insurance and as you speak they analyse your voice print and find you have a 10% chance of developing Parkinson's in the next year. Could you still get insurance? What would happen to the premium?

Should work continue in this area?

I have no answers, just questions.

What do other people think?

John
johnt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote