View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf View Post
I think you'll find that its your experience thats the minority experience, I'm fairly comfortable concluding that the majority will have their families turn them out as losses mount! Its simply human nature, As for your suggestions regarding who, when, where, and how to seek out aid, if you don't hear from your family with offers of support following the diagnosis & eventual surgery to remove an aggressive, invasive malignancy, there's no point in attempting to beg them for it, you have been thrown away....
If you haven't asked for financial help or to move in with one of them, than it seems a bit unfair that you think they'd just volunteer financial assistance. If you're telling them how dire your situation is but not asking for help, it can feel manipulative. If you're not telling them, than how are they supposed to know? Many people assume cash aid still exists, and with PASS and Medicaid, that the basics are covered.

I think it is true many people distance themselves when someone is very ill and/or dealing with a crisis in general. For a variety of reasons, a serious illness or disability can become very isolating. --And sometimes the opposite happens, where others try and step in and attempt to control our lives.

There are no easy answers, but expecting other's to anticipate what we need from them is a recipe for disappointment!

My aunt, who was in your situation, called and requested help from her siblings and parents. She'd be able to get by for long stretches and there was no way for us to tell when she'd need extra help.

I've been disabled for almost 15 years, and I've met/interacted with many disabled people during that time. It has been a relatively small number that ended up in the most dire of situations. Those with severe psychiatric issues tend to be the most vulenerable because they can't advocate for themselves and take advantage of the resources that are available.

If you need to vent, I can respect that. If you need help trying to locate resources, than I will personally try and help you if you communicate what you've attempted so far. If you can focus on your own situation, that might be more productive than trying to scare others new to the application process--because if they truly are unable to work, they don't have any other choice but to apply.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
clarkstar (12-08-2013), ginnie (12-09-2013)