View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Mel

That bag was contaminated the second that it got a hole in it...that moment. Whatever caused the hole penetrated into the sterile fluid in that bag....it could be anything, and no antibodies in IVIG won't kill it....

She simply transferred contaminated IVIG, into a sterile bag, using sterile equipment...but that is no help...the contaminant is already in the fluid.

Alan will likely be OK, but this is horrible practice!! On the other hand, he could have staph or strep or e.coli or God knows what, in that bag...whatever was in the frig, or pharmacy, or vehicle, that the IV bag was sitting in before the leak was discovered....whatever was on her hands when she handled the bag. If you have the IV bag that leaked keep it. It could be what you need to track down a germ if Alan does get an infection. Septicemia is very dangerous.

This is utterly unacceptable. No nurse in her right mind would do this, no matter how nice she is, she risked a patient's life. I am even more peaved.

I did home care nursing for years, and this just blows my mind!!

IVIG is very expensive, however it is not worth saving costs over a patien'ts life...ever! I can not tell you how angry I am!!!
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote