View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Concussed guy,

You said:

" Hey guys, I have referred to this forum before from google searches in order to try and help in dealing with my post concussion syndrome and you guys seem really helpful. I don't have it as bad as most of you guys, but I was just hoping to get some advice.

Here is my story. I am 18 years old. 5 months ago I was an idiot and got to the point of incredibly drunk and I was blacked. When I regained memory that night I was bleeding from the back of my head and was still really drunk and my friends were taking care of me with a towel to stop the bleeding. I have no recollection of what caused the injury at this party but I believe that I hit my head on a countertop in the bathroom just from snapshots I have in my memory from that night.

I ended up vomiting later that night but I don't know if it was the alcohol or head injury. The next couple of days I realized I had a concussion with all the usual symptoms of one (feeling out of it, headache, not being able to concentrate). I didn't go to a doctor and all these symptoms cleared in a week or so.

I felt fine (100%) up until a little less than a month later. I got another concussion. I was again idiotically black out drunk (not as much as the first time) and fell backwards and bumped my head on the front of a house. I then vomited. I realized it was a concussion 2 days after when I could tell it was more than just a hangover. Got a CT at ER 2 days after and it came back negative. Diagnosed with a concussion. I rested for 2 weeks and then went back to class (college) part time in order to catch up. I caught up fine for about two more weeks with grades being A's.

I proceeded to bump my head on my dorm room lofted bed and that set me back about a week, but I recovered again almost to 100% and still did fine in class. I then bumped my head on the ceiling while in my lofted bed and then went home that day for then had about a 9 hour car ride back home that was pretty bumpy with the road. It was then however that my symptoms got a lot worse and was forced to drop out of college. (No alcohol since 2nd concussion, alcohol/stupidity lead to this whole thing, I know. I'd take it back if I could)

Here are my symptoms: swollen brain feeling/pressure, fatigue, memory/focusing problems, bouts of confusion, insomnia, occasional migraines, episodes of severe anxiety/depression, episodes of muscle weakness, body aches, visual disturbances, irritability, muscle palpitations, chest pains (rare).

Some days I have good days, some average, some bad, some really bad. The worrisome thing is wondering whether or not I have something else going on because I have had complete rest for the past 3 months at my house with the help of my parents and I have been eating ridiculously healthy yet I do not seem to be improving and my cognition has seemed to get a little worse if anything.

The most worrisome thing is that the littlest head movements/bumps seem to give me almost like a mini/very very very slight concussion and worsen my symptoms and the feelings of my head swelling up/worsened cognition and brain fog. I fear that these are doing more damage to my brain. They are unavoidable like itching my head too hard will set it off. Sometimes I will be incredibly sensitive to these mini bumps or whatever and other times I won't. I do not feel as if I'm improving after 4 months from my second concussion from which I never fully recovered. This feeling of hopelessness seems to set off some really bad episodes of depression/anxiety; I think that is also the physiological change to my brain causing these terrible feelings too.

I do not leave my house except for doctors appointments, some days I don't leave my bed. The neurologist I went to didn't help. I went to a neuropsychologist and he told me my cognition in some areas is below national average. I was an incredibly healthy/smart teenager. I was a great athlete, and had a above 4.0 gpa pretty effortlessly. I was social, haven't felt up to going out since 2nd concussion besides class when I was in college. My life has been turned upside down. I know a lot of you have it worse than me so sorry if I seem like a baby.

Again, what really worries me is the "hyperconcussabiltiy" which I believe either increases inflammation in my brain or my intracranial pressure enough to do damage. Exercise worsens this intracranial pressure feeling so I haven't exercised in 4 months.

I wonder if I have some sort of intracranial hypertension that spikes at times. Reasons why: high systolic blood pressure number, when I feel the "swelling"/pressure/tightness in my head I get neck pain, confusion, reddened eyes as if there is swelling and pressure, at times I will lose control of my eyes as if their crossed for a couple seconds (rarer), muscle weakness, intensified body aches, sleep apnea like symtoms (look below) (these symtoms correlate with Intracranial hypertension)

I have also recently started waking up gasping for air after bad nightmares in this terrible "world isn't real" dream like state (maybe sleep apnea). I have worse headaches in the morning too. I believe my cognition has gotten worse since being homebound and resting. Feelings of depression every once in a while, but not constant. BAD anxiety at night/psychological battle with myself

I've had an MRI on my cervical spine and my brain all negative. Although I have sinusitis and fluid in my sinuses. EEG negative. Bloodwork normal except cholestrol was barely high, protein and blood and urine barely high, alt liver enzyme barely high, vitamin D a little insufficent. Was told by physician to stop fish oil and B12 (was a little high in bloodwork). I am taking a multivitamin for the vitamin D deficiency (probably cuz i'm never outisde) and have experimented with different supplements/vitamins.

I had high blood pressure and took a diuretic for about two weeks, but stopped that and my blood pressure seems to be really high sometimes, especially the top number. A lot of times it's also low. I monitor it at home and report it to my physician. I probably spend way too much time reading on my phone and watching TV, however it doesn't usually seem to affect my symptoms when I do this mental stimulation. Other mental stimulation does. I take nothing for pain even when the headaches are really bad. Pain isn't the issue, everything else is cuz it worries the hell out of me (especially the swelling feeling).

Whoever takes the time to read that I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!! I know, it's way too long. I feel pretty hopeless and don't think I will get back to who I was. I am looking for advice. Vitamin regimen? What do you think about intracranial hypertension? or another condition? "hyperconcussability"? any advice/comments/tips are welcome! Thanks so much whoever reads this."

FIRST, Find a doctor who knows about nutrition. Fish oil is good for your brain and body. Your B-12 is not too high. The tests do not indicate how well your body is utilizing B-12.

Do you know what the B-12 ratio is ? It should be about 1000 picograms/mLtr. Folic acid should be above 20. D3 should be strong.

There is no value to experimenting with vitamins and supplements. It takes weeks to months to start to see improvements. The negative cervical MRI is meaningless.

You sound like you may have Central Sleep Apnea. Your brain stops telling your diaphragm to take a breath. This low Oxygen level causes the nightmares. As your brain struggles, it finally wakes you up to start breathing again. I have lived with this for almost 13 years. For me, it is the result of inflammation in the upper neck. I need to practice good neck/head posture when I sleep to prevent it. You will not start to heal until you can get this under control.

Take a break from your smart phone. It causes anxiety. Learn to relax and take each day as just a small part of your process in healing. Reduce any sensory stimulation you can. Take up playing solitaire with a deck of cards or any other no-electronic activity.

Your sensitivity to head movements does not mean anything in particular except that you are sensitive to head movements. Learn to reduce quick head movements. I can not shake my head No without getting 'the feeling'. I have learned to turn my shoulders to look right or left. It slows the head movement speed.

You may benefit from seeing a Physiatrist (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation). Get on the vitamins and supplements regimen. Stay on it for at least 4 weeks before deciding if it is helping.

More later as you have questions.

btw. How old were you the first time you got blotto drunk ?

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
concussedGuy (12-08-2013)