View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 06:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermathman View Post
sorry for the delay in response.

I have never stopped taking the dop ags so I do not know if it will go away if they are halted. Gut feeling is that the "smoothing" (losing all your highs and lows, (sounds like a song in there)) will go if the dop ags go.

I was told Pramipexole was an anti depressant so this sort of result is not unexpected, the smoothing does not feel like a form of depression however I am no expert on what is or is not depression.

Take care,
Neil.
Mmm Im not sure that the smoothing, loss of highs and lows, is quite the same as lack of pleasure, maybe it is.
Agonists dont smooth things for me but add to my highs and lows as I'm on ropinerole, short acting. I have bouts of apathy and loss of interest very much connected to low dopamine levels (wearing off of meds, Ropinerole and Madopar)

I wasnt aware before that primapexole was used in depression so thanks for that. In trying to find out more i came across this, a little off subject but see especially the last paragraph.

Dopaminergic modulation of memory and affective processing in Parkinson depression
Psychiatry Research
Volume 210, Issue 1, 30 November 2013, Pages 146–149

Abstract
Depression is common in Parkinson's disease ....... Dopaminergic medications are effective in treating the motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease; however, little is known regarding the effects of dopaminergic pharmacotherapy on cognitive function in depressed Parkinson patients. This study examines the neuropsychological effects of dopaminergic pharmacotherapy in Parkinsonian depression......... A total of 28 .... patients with mild to moderate idiopathic Parkinson's disease participated. Ten of these patients were depressed according to DSM IV criteria.

Results revealed a statistically significant interaction between depression and medication status on three measures of verbal memory and a facial affect naming task. In all cases, depressed Parkinson's patients performed significantly more poorly while on dopaminergic medication than while off. The opposite pattern emerged for the non-depressed Parkinson's group. The administration of dopaminergic medication to depressed Parkinson patients may carry unintended risks.