View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 03:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry to hear how bad things have gotten, Marie. Idiopathic doesn't mean no reason- you have a diagnosis of small fiber neuropathy which can be intensely painful, it just means they can't find a cause. At least a third of neuropathy cases are idiopathic, which is easy to feel like it isn't taken seriously, but is, in fact, a serious condition. If you found someone lying in the road all bruised and broken they would still be hurt whether you knew which car hit them! ( terrible analogy, but my point is you do have a diagnosis of a disease ).

I have a number of your symptoms, burning and numbness that wakes me in the night, pain that involves all of my legs, and much of my arms. No tinnitus, but very rarely the brain freeze shivery feeling you describe. I have hereditary neuropathy, which is progressive and for which there is no treatment.

My understanding is that IVIG treatments are for CIDP and some autoimmune neuropathies, they are not helpful for other types, and difficult to get insurance approval for trial runs. Some on here have had treatments without having the usual indicators and it didn't seem to help them, so they are not a panacea for all neuropathic patients by any means. Hopefully someone will respond with more info.

They is a lot of support here and on the Internet in general for invisible chronic illness, as well as many great books. I walk funny and use a cane, but I know that feeling terrible while not looking sick is psychologically difficult to navigate, especially when you don't get the support from others that you need. Sometimes I don't know what I would do without the Internet.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hopeful (12-09-2013), St George 2013 (12-10-2013)