View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 10:22 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Typically the A1C cut off for treatment of elevated glucose is 7.0 today.
Dear Mrs D,

I am sorry but I disagree with your statement (quote above). The ADA guidelines of
A1C's below 7.0 means you are considered to be "controlled", NOT that you do not need treatement. It is the "treatment" that gets a person with diabetes down to a range below 7.0

Maybe with an A1C of 4.4, medication should be halted. It does not necessarily indicate that the patient is having "lows", it may indicate that the person is no longer in need of medication and the body is working to control blood sugar levels with diet alone. I have personally seen people on insulin lose enough weight that they no longer needed ANY type of medication to control their blood sugar levels.

I get your point but disagree with the way you stated it. If I were to suddenly have an
A1C of 4.4 without losing any weight or any other changes, it would be a result of many lows. Many many lows. I stay below 7.0 but not without medication. I am always in the 6.0 to 6.9 range. Even in the 6's, damage is still being done to body systems. 6's are NOT normal. 6's need treatment.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote