View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 11:40 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I think I'm dealing with the almost identical scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
I stopped taking prilosec after 10 years of use. I had many alarming symptoms of PN and PPI's seem to be the cause of it for me. To help combat the GERD I lost weight, ate healthier and took supplements listed on this site. I rarely feel the effect of heartburn anymore although I need to avoid high acid foods.

MrsD had some great insight about how Omega 3 fish oil helps control GERD. I suspect it has something to do with the anti-inflammatory abilities (EPA) of the supplement. She can offer more insight on this than me.

Other nutrients that PPI's can reduce besides B12 are folate, magnesium, iron and calcium. Additional B12 , folate and magnesium all helped me feel better over time.
Hi Karsten,

I live in Ankeny, IA and saw a news report this morning that talked about the use of Prilosec causing nerve damage, among other things. It struck me, because I too have been using Prilosec/ Omeprazole for 10 years or more. Over the last 5 years or so I've notice an increasing about of numbness occurring in my toes and feet. Started in my toes and has spread to most of my feet and even some in my ankles. I'm 47 years old and overweight. I'm 6' 2" and weigh about 260lbs. So I probably need to lose at least 30 or 40 pounds and probably even more. I'm curious if your PN went away after you stopped taking Omeprazole, lost weight and were careful about your diet to control GERD? I would love to talk to you on the phone if that would be possible.
RDHJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote