Thread: Toe trauma
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 01:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Yes, alcohol would dilate the superficial capillaries and increase blood flow.
Thanks for much for the response!

So, are my capillaries malfunctioning? Most people seem to have issues with cold, rather than heat but nerve damage just means the nerves react the wrong way right in any direction?

I think the reason my toe stayed normal for a whole day with proper skin tone and minimal swelling is because I kept it really cool the whole time, and only had mild showers to stop the trigger. Do you think I should avoid contrast baths at this stage? Sometimes when I wake up and take off the tape, the skin switches to normal skin color, and then the baths make it go red and swell a bit again - not sure if I'm better off doing the baths to keep the blood flow higher, or just work to minimize the swelling - maybe it's a catch22!

Quote:
You know what you can try? Salonpas patches. The original type with methyl salicylate in them.

I'd put a whole patch 1/2 over the edge of your foot where that toe is. Fold it so 1/2 is on the top of your foot and the other half goes over the side to the bottom. Place it so the top edge is as close to that pinky as possible. The anti-inflammatory actions will
seep into the area and give some relief perhaps. I use them on my feet all the time. I have broken sesamoid bones and arthritis.
(in addition to PN).

Another inexpensive remedy is Morton Epsom Lotion. This improves circulation to the periphery, so that the blood flow is more normal. Rub into the toe and top of the foot. Use only a small amount, as a little goes a long way. Inflammation closes off circulation, and by opening up the blood vessels, then the blood can do its job better. You may be having spells of constriction followed by dilation (which is the red part)

That red toe resembles what happens when you get cold shock, and then warm up, and the blood vessels dilate and turn things red. Ears for example exposed to cold turn red that way.

Morton's is at WalMart and Walgreen's locally. And online at Amazon.
I actually ordered some Epsom IT lotion yesterday on your recommendation so thanks for that - I'll give it a try. Sometimes, it can feel raw, red, itchy and hopefully the cream helps with that.

Honestly, I don't experience much pain with it when I keep it cool and don't walk too much. In fact, I never had bad pain which is strange - and I'm guessing this was because I destroyed the nerves. I still cycle 6 miles a day without pain (some niggling, tingling) but even that has subsided a bit - it probably is because it's freezing cold outside

Do you think those patches could help if I wanted to go out for a few drinks, because I know it will flare up and burn?
l1am is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote