View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 09:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma View Post
First of all, he gets a lot of things right. Like the importance of the scalenes, including how they pull the first rib up and how important it is to get rid of spasms in them. He talks about strengthening certain muscles for the purpose of elevating the shoulder girdle, but only after muscle spasms are cleared out. He also says it takes a lot of hours of therapy to clear out muscle spasms.

I agree with you Chroma that Dr. Stoxen definitely seems to understand the complex workings of TOS with its interrelated, often confounding, moving parts. Also, unlike many chiros I've seen, he appreciates the importance of soft tissue work, and his approach is multi-faceted, which I believe is the key to successfully treating TOS. Most of the therapists I've been to don't operate beyond their limited area of "expertise" -the trigger point therapist not a believer in any strengthening or any method other than trigger point work; the PT who believes in only strengthening and states that any soft tissue work will just aggravate symptoms. That said, in my case, it's unlikely that intense daily sessions (many hours/day) to manually "fix" the body would be successful. And Dr. Stoxen seems to be a "my way or the highway" kind of therapist (could be wrong here, it's just based on my 2 hour conversation with him). I've learned the hard way to speak up when therapists seem to be causing more harm than good and to walk away from therapists who don't respect my wishes. I'd love to see more reviews of Dr. Stoxen, and if you or others go to him, please post comments on your experience.
elap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote