View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 01:17 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was the one who had to have the lumbar puncture a couple of years ago. Jan '11 to be exact.

The pressure felt severe - the course of strong steroids that were prescribed didn't help me (that I remember) which is why the lumbar puncture was ordered.

There is a huge difference between inflammation and an increase of intracranial pressure. They are two different and separate medical conditions.

I was in such severe pain that I had trouble moving, walking and talking. Sitting upright was not an option. Our windows had to be covered with black out curtains to allow 0 light in - even the tiniest amount of light was excruciating to me. I could not even tolerate whispers.

I can not convey how excruciating the pain was all the time and the pain increased in intensity slowly over the six months I had it until the lumbar puncture was given - then ALL the pain went completely away within about 5 minutes of the lumbar puncture - it was a complete medical miracle to me and I believe it saved my life.

I believe there is some merit to your assumption concussedGuy - but trust me when I say that you do not need a lumbar puncture unless your neurologist thinks you do. If your body and brain can adjust the pressure inside your skull naturally which may take some time, then you need to allow it the time to do that. It is certainly worth bringing up with your neuro, but it might not be worth fighting for because other things might help you.

Pressure inside the head is also how some people describe some different kinds of headaches. Your neuro may want to try some different headache treatments before opting for an LP.

I had to undergo many, many different kinds of treatments before an LP was even considered. Increase of ICP is considered rare after a concussion. I think that's why it took 6 months to finally have one suggested as an option. It definitely worked for me, but remember, every head injury is different and unique.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote