View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi sara ali,

You can remove the bridge and have two new crowns made for the abutment teeth. But as far as longevity, these two teeth are already compromised because they were cut down to accommodate the bridge. Removing the bridge and installing new crowns will not alter the longevity of these two teeth in any way.

The advantage to having separate crowns over the bridge are:
The teeth will be easier to clean.

Whether or not you keep the bridge or do separate crowns you would still be left with the same scenario if something were to happen to one of these teeth that required it to be extracted. You would either need a longer bridge to replace the then two missing teeth or an implant or a removable appliance.

Regarding the replacement of this one missing tooth....
Unless you have other teeth missing in the arch, you are not a candidate for a typical partial denture. Some dentists will make what is called a Nesbit appliance which is a very small plastic piece that holds one tooth, it is removable and it snaps into place using the adjacent teeth as anchors. However, this appliance is only used to keep the space open as a means of preventing the adjacent teeth from shifting and for esthetics. It is not meant to be used for chewing as it can be easily dislodged with food and become a choking hazard.

I think it would be helpful for you to make an appointment to consult with your dentist about what options you have that may be best suited for your particular case. I know you regret your decision to do the bridge, but in the long run it may be best to just leave well enough alone. But that is your choice and you have to be comfortable with it

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah ali View Post
Dear Bryanna, thank you so much for your quick reply. its really very informative and helpful. just wanted to let you know that I live in Pakistan (third world country) and sometimes in Australia. the dentistry work in Pakistan is good and verrrrrrryyyy cheap. the dental bridge i just put in is $240. Due to the reason of low cost and good quality, I was thinking to replace the bridge (which was a mistake I regret) with two separate crowns to increase the longevity of the abutment teeth, and replace missing tooth with some flexible partial denture like valplast. thanks
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote