View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 01:52 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Oh, or are you looking for free art designs/images
Only
That one—free designs/images. As I said in the OP, we've pretty much done an exhaustive google image search. But as you know, not everything always shows up on google, subject to algorithms, priorities, meta tags, etc.)

We have Bernina DesignerPlus, which includes an older stripped-down version of CorelDRAW as its drawing/graphics editor module. We can load most any bitmap format (.jpg .png .gif .bmp, etc.) into it, which are then converted (if not already) into bmps, edited (cleaned up, tweaked, etc., which can take many hours in some cases) and then digitized into embroidery design files. In some cases the cleanup/tweaking process can take many many iterations.

The much easier & faster way (which also yields better looking results) is to load vector graphic images which the software can digitize directly with no/very little messing around. The vector graphics files MUST be Corel format (.cdr) because CorelDRAW is the drawing/editor module. (I'm guessing that was part of the deal between Bernina and Corel.)
Quote:
I did find some "vector" images on Google
The images you see in that google search are actually .jpgs, .gifs, or .pngs. The actual vector formats must be downloaded, and many/most (like the ones in that search) are in formats other than .cdr (like .eps, .svg, etc.) Sometimes the vector graphics are free, but with most it's a come-on to get you to buy/subscribe to something. Commercial vector format images typically cost anywhere from $6 to $20 EACH. The ones that really ARE free are usually not ones anyone would want for a particular project (unless I wanted a crazy quilt of corporate logos...

We're getting a lot of good stuff in jpg/png/gif formats; it's just incredibly time consuming, and the results are never as good as they are from vector sources.

I'm attaching an example. I digitized the same image from a raster graphic .jpg (left) and from the original vector graphic .cdr (right). Some of the information from the raster graphic is missing—parts of the letters and borders (SW & NE). There is also some "noise" added—pixels used to smoothe out curves & such, which isn't too bad in this image, and it actually appears in both (if you magnify them) because both had to be converted to jpg format to upload here. Raster graphics are also subject to problems like compression artifacts, posterizing, moiré, etc.

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Vector Graphics?-picture2-jpg  

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote