View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 05:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile and another

my friend who has autism (severe like around 47 IQish but i think he is more anyway) doesn't seem to do well outside of his routine. so learning new things for hiom is quite difficult. but luckily one of his routines is to talk to himself and others in short spurt sentences like "Don't touch a knife". well he likes to make jokes like "Don't touch a deer". and pretty much repleace deer with anything and he will have a big smile on his face. "Don't touch a car" or "Don't touch a light". but the reason he has these little short responses seems to be his involvement or interactions with how he is processing the currect environment. when he is playing his video games he says to himself "Got to read the question twice." i started that one for him. but eventually it stuck. the reason why i had him start that was because i fonud out that he was playing who wants to be a millionaire video game at home (i bought for him) and he was getting a million dollars. well he was only remembering the answers and the order of the answers (ie ABCD) so when he would play the game he wouldn't read the question. and he would still get a million dollars. like he had a photographic memory! i tested this by putting my arm in front of the questions and had him keep playing. he would still win without hearing or seeing the questions! so i said got to read the questions twice with him for a few weeks and now he says it on his own. so he likes learning new things but it takes a bit and it has to be something he likes. like i tried to get him to eat his vegitables one day and man i might as well of eaten my own leg cause there was no way he was going to do that. and sometimes that is the way it is. he just won't do something and that is that and he has made up his mind no changing it.

so pro here is his capacity to learn and remember things. con is it is only things he likes and wants to learn.
autisticmoose2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote