View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 07:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaleagal View Post
Hello, I had a root canal in number 30 over 25 years ago. 4 mos ago developed an abscess/fistula.

3weeks ago had a root canal re treat begun, cleaned out and medication in place with temporary filling. The plan is to return in a few weeks to pack with gutta perca and permanent filling, later on new crown.

The fistula closed up after 10 days and I thought I was doing ok. 2 days ago the gumboil reappeared. It seems to have drained again and there is no discomfort.

My endo. says this is normal, the fistula may close and reappear several times?? That sounds weird to me.

I'm not sure I want to fool around with this retreat any longer if the prognosis is poor. My endo seems to think there is a good chance to save the tooth.

I'm feeling like I want this infection out of my mouth NOW.
What is the worst case scenario if I just have the tooth extracted and do not replace with an implant or bridge. I am 60 years old.

Please help, thanks so much.
Note: I am not a dentist or a health professional but I would like to share my fistula tooth experience with you.

Here is my story: I had a deep cavity filling done around Dec 2010. I experienced pain and was lying on bed for 1.5 weeks. I ate antibiotics and the pain disappeared. Initially, I knew nothing about fistula. I thought it was gone for good. After 6 months, a fistula grew on the gum of the bad tooth. I thought it was a canker sore and it disappeared after a week. I ignored this issue again and it went on and off for 2-3 years because I was afraid to lose a tooth and wanted to keep it.

I started to re-consider options when my mouth began to stink even though I brush twice a day + using tongue scraper. What I noticed was that my bad tooth was interfering with my tongue and felt uncomfortable. Also, the bad tooth became loose each day. I noticed that my side face near the jaw started to develop small pimples.

I got scared because I heard this issue can lead to bigger problems like spread to the next tooth or somewhere else. After extraction, my mouth no longer smells, tooth no longer interfere with my tongue, and pimples disappeared. The oral surgeon said there was too much bone loss. He cleaned it and I am back to normal.
fistula_help is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote