View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mine technically started in childhood with clumsiness, an odd gait, high arches, inability to run, etc. as I have a hereditary neuropathy. But these were ignored, and I was just thought accident prone, clumsy and lazy.

The classic neuropathy symptoms started in my early 30's with numb toes. That progressed to above my ankles by my mid-40's when I saw a neurologist at the insistence of my podiatrist. I had several foot infections and he was shocked at the profound loss of any feeling in my feet. He also recognized the gait as being characteristic of CMT. Actually my podiatrist was a better diagnostician than my neurologist in some ways, at least he was more familiar with the symptoms.

During this time I had moderate leg pain but attributed it to varicose veins.

I had also been evaluated earlier and found to have carpal tunnel in both hands, which was not exactly true. I have nerve entrapments all over and it is part of the disease process, not a separate condition. The podiatrist was angry and felt that this should have been more rigorously pursued combined with my other issues. My arms fall asleep at night and wake me up. My hands are not very useful until the afternoon, I cannot hold a pen or do needlework in the morning, or they instantly go numb.

Now the numbness is above my knees, I have constant strong, aching pain in my arms and legs, sometimes sharp pain in my feet,and quite a bit of muscle loss in my hands, arms, feet, and legs. I also have an all over skin burning sensation which is usually limited to my left thigh but occasionally spreads to the entire thigh and hip areas both sides. Very uncomfortable and affects my choice of clothing.

In my case this has been a lifelong process, I am 52.

I was briefly on statins for dangerously high triglycerides. I was completely unable to walk without falling and the pain was worse. I went off them at the advice of my neurologist. I have since found that there is a link between PN and high tryglycerides, so I don't worry much about it.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote