View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 01:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Could be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Hi. The only reason I'm putting this question here is because it's so complicated when you go on the SS website and I figured SOMEONE here can answer this.

My friend is 56. Her ex husband is on SS Disability. I know she can't collect anything now because no one is 62 yet. I know she is entitled to half her ex spouse SS benefits when she reaches retirement age and he turns 66. That much I discovered. (At least I think this what I read).

But she wants to know if, when she turns 62, and he is NOT yet 66, can she file for any part of his disability?

Not a dumb question. I couldn't find the answer anywhere. So is a spouse or ex spouse entitled to part of anyone's disability benefit? And does it matter if these people are home-owners??.

Thanks to anyone who can give me some answers.

Much appreciated.

Mel

Thanks much
Hi Melody,

I could be wrong, dead wrong, but your question asked if an ex-spouse was entitled to part of anyone's disability benefit. I think the answer is NO. No one is entitled to "disability" benefits but the disabled person that was approved for disability. Now, retirement benefits, is an entirely different story and a different set of rules. I think you need to look at them separately. Check out retirement SS benefits, not disability. I am also making the assumption that the ex-spouse has not remarried and was married to the person upon whose benefits they wish to claim, for a long enough time frame. As far as being "home owners"....... that should only come into play if you are referring to SSI benefits. SS retirement and disability benefits are not "means" tested. SSI IS means tested and assets, including home ownership, is considered.

OK, I have rambled but the point I am trying to make is these are 3 different animals and 3 different set of rules and regulations.

1) SS benefits (retirement)
2) Disability benefits
3) SSDI(correction: should be: SSI supplemental benefits (assets matter) (In red is incorrect)

Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer. More facts would be needed.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by Hopeless; 12-17-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Correcting wrong info
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote