View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 03:37 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ibxm,

My neuropathy came on during a period when I was having many other health problems.

I did not notice it.

Well, I noticed:

*Tripping and falling
*Inability to ride a new bike (I thought there was something wrong with the bike)
*Difficulty in taking long walks, especially walking up hill.
*Getting dizzy and falling out of the shower, when I closed eyes to rinse my hair.
* Lots of arthritis pain, leg cramps, pain generally.

I went to see a neurologist about a constant headache (which I still have) and he SAW that I had 'foot drop' couldn't walk straight, got dizzy when I closed my eyes.

He ordered a bunch of tests, and until they were done (after Christmas) I feared a brain tumor or MS or something.

The EMG showed profound neuropathy. That was four years ago.

It hasn't spread at all. No reason or cause has been conclusively found. Lots of things have been ruled out. I had EEGs, a spinal Tap, 3 MRIs and two CT scans then, and I've had them since as well, recently (not the spinal tap).

I was so afraid the neuropathy would spread and I would be wheelchair bound. But that hasn't happened.

I can't give you any ideas or suggestions. My Duke neurologist confirmed that the neuropathy is still profound. He has no idea why I have it.

I do have a copper deficiency which he just found. Copper deficiency is extremely rare. It will cause hematological and neurological problems.

I am anemia for no known reason, and of course I have profound PN. But I would think that a copper deficiency would cause the PN to spread to the rest of my body, but is hasn't in four years. And of course I don't know.

I take Cymbalta for pain, and Naproxen Sodium (Aleve).

Hugs, Elaine
ElaineD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote