View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 04:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Day 200- AFTER QUITTING - Sinemet/Carb-Lev

It has now been over 200 days since I stepped into or, better yet stumbled upon an interesting thing. While taking Sinemet I had a sore back and began taking Motrin (Ibuprofen) and Flexeril. Within a few days I noticed the Sinemet seem to working much better so I decreased and then terminated the Sinemet, with my neuros approval. The result was fairly astounding, very positive, even unbelievable.

If you are new to this post you will find my status at that point as well some historical data at the beginning.

Anyway I have taken my meds at appx 8:00 am and 8:00 pm:

1) Motrin 400mg One in the a.m. and one in the evening
2) Flexeril 10mg one half in the a.m. and one half in the evening
3) Cogentin 1mg 1 in the am and 1 in the evening

Having tried combinations where I decreased 1 med by half and waited to see the results (generally less than a week) and, because of the severity of the change I immediately began retaking that particular med. Having went through most of the combinations and seeing that they each resulted in negative side effect(s), I have come to the point where I'm going to begin adding back. I recently began taking an afternoon dosage of

1) Motrin 400mg One
2) Flexeril 10mg one half
3) Cogentin 1mg one

While it is too early to tell I seem to be finding little things that are positive but, as I said, it's too early to tell. I would however like to tell you some of the interesting things had happened over these 200 plus days.

As I have said in the past there are no ups and downs with this regimen. That is to say I am almost always on while there is only a handful of off, and is occurring when I forget to take my pills.

My Normal Day

I get up in the morning and struggle to get out of bed. I have a difficult time turning over when I enter the bed at night, try to turn over in the night. As I walk to the bathroom my right foot scuffs the floor. I have a bowel movement every 4 to 6 days and have to be careful not to pee myself when I urinate. My usual 15 minute shave, shower and dress is more likely to take an hour as everything from the shower, drying off and getting dressed is done in slow-motion, including struggling to maintain my balance while I struggle with balance issues. I struggle to put on my pants and shirt and generally my wife helps me. I either wear sandals (flip-flops) or one of my kids puts on my shoes and socks. None of this ever occurred until I stopped Sinemet.

I mentioned that my right foot scuffs the floor as I walk. If I'm not trying to pull up my pants or trying to put something in my pockets, and if I make a conscious effort of lifting and throwing my right foot in front of my normal step I can walk somewhat normally. But when the medications as I cut each one began to show negative results, sometimes my body leaned forward faster than my feet could operate, causing me to have to either run or find something to hold onto to stop. Then restarting and repeating the process. I will also add that about the same time this thing happened with my foot, I notice swelling and the feeling that my foot was wrapped tightly in an ace bandage, or maybe had a cast from the toes up my leg to where the sock would normally come. Many times with no shoes and socks on I would have the distinct feeling that in fact my socks were on, causing me to look down at my feet.

Getting to my rocker recliner with my cup of coffee I sat down and watched the news. I then go to my car with my kids and we drive the 15 minutes to the school with little difficulty except for sometimes fastening the seatbelt and manipulating my butt into the seats. When I arrived back home I look in my office where the mail is piling up. I know I should pay the bills and do other administrative work but I don't want to. If I even tried to sit down at the computer the first problem that comes up (forgotten password, etc.) I can't go on so I retire back to my chair to watch the news. I swear my mail is in three files: unopened, opened and needing help and lastly, emergency. If it's in the emergency pile I try to get to it within a month.

One of the worst side effects of the meds or maybe the disease, is the absolute inability to motivate myself to do things. When I force myself to do the mail it takes all of an hour to do it and I feel great when it's done. I still can't bring myself to do it.

Through the day I hang out in the Jacuzzi with my two-year-old daughter and wife. The rest of the times watching news until 3 o'clock when I go to get the kids. Helping with homework, watching TV and going back to the Jacuzzi fills out the evening.

Current symptoms along with the above:

Feet
Swollen
Discolored
achey
Cold
Difficulty Walking

Slight Tremor Right Arm
Weakness, Fatigue
Freezing Of the Feet, Right Foot a Bit More Than the Left
Apathy Apathy Apathy!

Well, that's it for now. Believe it or not I tried to quit writing this to three times but I forced myself to go on. But then that's life!

I would welcome any comments or reports of similar symptoms.

Jim
I_Got_it_2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
natnat (09-01-2014), shcg (12-17-2013)