View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 04:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi,

I know exactly the feeling of asking a doc for help with the disability process, especially one that you do not have a LONG relationship with that knows you well and you know well. You have no idea of how they feel about disability in general, nor how they feel about getting involved, or how they feel about YOUR situation. It is hard enough getting and keeping a doc's attention for the immediate reason for your visit much less having the time to ask about disability. And if you do not have a long relationship with the doc, you do not know if he books patients every 15 minutes, hates to get behind schedule, is open to spending more time with you than was allotted, etc. You feel like you are walking on eggs and broken glass trying to tread lightly. You might fear rejection or feeling like you are imposing upon him. It is hard enough to find a doctor that "fits" and can be helpful for your care and treatment and fear jepardizing a new and maybe fragile relationship. I understand all the "feelings" that can be experienced in approaching a doc about disability. Even when they voice a willingness to assist you, pinning them down to actually do it is another whole problem. The issue is you really do need to know how your doctor feels about YOUR situation since they may be contacted by disabiity just by being listed as one of your physicians.

The more ammo you have, the better your chances of approval. Whether that is a letter, a functional capacity, a medical source statement, any of the above, all of the above, etc... it all comes down to support of your assertion that you are unable to perform any work with your limitations. As someone here on NT told me,...... it is not about your diagnosis, which you must have and be able to substantiate, but more how your condition, whatever it be, affects your ability to perform any substantial work activity. Having a disease or condition does not get you approved, it just moves you to the next step in the process.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
St George 2013 (12-18-2013)