View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 06:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Here's where I am today

I would first like to say thank u for the replies.....they always help me see things from a different standpoint.

Ok...went to the neuro yesterday morning with my RN daughter in law whom the dr seems to like...thank goodness.....I have such a good relationship with some of my dr's and I'm very open but this guy just makes me shut down. But....I was proud of myself......I actually read off my list of symptoms, told him I was not any better pain wise. He thinks the 2700 mg a day of gabapentin is too much for me and lowered me back down to 1800 mg a day. Well that was not really helpful.

I asked him if he had treated small fiber neuropathy before and he said he had. I asked him did he think I could work 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week and he said no. I asked him to write a letter on my behalf to ss and he said he would only write one if he got a request from my attorney. Well.....I don't have an attorney. He said the best he could do was put it in his medical notes that due to my condition and symptoms I could not sustain gainful employment. So I'm going with that from him.

THEN.....my Gyn called me to see how things are going for me. She's the one that was so upset when she heard all I've gone through and promised to help get a team together to take care of me. She's been my dr over 20 years and is extremely upset at how disabling this is for me. When I told her the neuro would not write a letter for me she started cussing....lol.....love my Marty. She said she will be more than happy to write a letter for me and just to let her know what needs to be in the letter. She then gave me her cell # and email address......I was shocked.....NO dr has ever been this concerned for me and my health.

I called the lady I have been talking to at our Congressman's office and she said the notes the neuro will put in my file will be fine and to let my Gyn write that letter. She then wants me to fax to her office, she will put both on their letterhead and send directly to ss for me. WOW.....she really thinks I have this in the bucket.

So my question to all of you now is.......since she is my Gyn and not the treating dr or even my PCP what should she put in the letter ? I know she needs to state how long I've been a patient of hers and to state the difference she has seen in me since this began in May....I've seen her twice......she agrees with the fact that the severity of my SFN is due diabetes and then the high doses of chemo. She sees the fact that I can barely walk and am unbalanced. She knows my personal history as we talk extensively each year when I go to her....she knows how dedicated to work I was.....we talked about our kids and my grandkids and so on. And until all this started I saw her frequently in the grocery store and at restaurants at which time we would also chat.

So there u go......she wants the letter to be exactly what I need but I'm not sure what to tell her.

Thoughts and suggestions please ?

You guys are the bestest !

Debi from Georgia
St George 2013 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote