View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 11:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker0pi View Post
Hello,
After 6 frustratingly painful years and 3 of them actively seeking a medical answer to my constant pain and slowly worsening disabilities I was diagnosed with MS on Dec 2. The neurologist started me on Ampyra and would like me to start Tysabri sometime next year after my JCV blood test, follow up MRI and LP. I have to be honest the though of PML scares the hell out of me. I have a 7 year old son and do not want to leave my husband to raise him alone. I am looking for experiences and possibly more accurate risk information about this therapy. This is my first post and I appreciate any advice, stories or info that you may be willing to share.
Thank you.
Hi Ker0pi

Welcome to Neurotalk. I'm sorry you have to be here. I understand your fear of PML. If you are JCV negative then your risks are quite minimal if any. I don't have the stats for you but I'm sure that someone here will. Wait until you find out your antibody status before you start worrying about Tysabri. There are many drugs available now, more than when I was diagnosed. When I started out, there were only shots. Now there are 3 pills and more drugs on the horizon. If you don't end up choosing Tysabri you have many options and you will find something. Good luck and keep us posted.
"Thanks for this!" says:
DizzyLizzy (03-05-2014), Grammie 2 3 (12-24-2013), Riverwild (01-24-2014), SallyC (12-20-2013)