View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 05:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

JBuckl,

I just saw your post about anxiety and preventing further injury. As far as anxiety goes, I never found a great way to avoid it, I just removed myself from situations where I could potentially hit my head. I had to be constantly aware of my surroundings which just adds more stress, but I'm afraid its necessary to let yourself heal. The worst anxiety I experienced was when something did hit my head or I experienced some type of jarring motion that I thought set me back. Knowing that I got set back and would have to feel bad for the next few days was incredibly stressful, so the best way to avoid anxiety is to protect your head.

For progressing into walking faster, running, jumping and all that, you need to take it one step at a time. At one point I could not walk heel-to-toe barefoot because I could feel my brain shake when my heal would hit the ground. So, after a few weeks of being on the diet and feeling much better, I started walking barefoot on carpet. I would do this everyday until I got comfortable, then I moved to tile floor.

Once I could finally walk normally again, my big goal was to start running, which I'm sure it is for you. I honestly was very scared to start, but I stated in a batting cage that had turf floor so it was a little cushioned. I started jogging pretty goofy at first, making sure each impact wouldn't shake my head, but as days and weeks went by I slowly pushed my limits until I was running without a problem.

I encourage you to do the same thing I did: just chip away at it day by day and before you know it you'l be running and jumping again. Push your limits but be smart about it, it is much better to play it safe and not further-injure yourself than to push it too much and set yourself back. It is going to take some time so be patient and stay focused on your goal.
Dan Higgs96 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote