View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 02:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default SCS Trial

Hard decision even to do trial SCS. My Pain Mgt. Dr. was like a bulldog & finally got insurance to approve it so that got rid of that excuse. I'm sure you know what I mean. After you read all the horror stories of what can & does go wrong your're a little shy about the proceedures. But then, you think to yourself "you want to try everything you can to get better right?"

So for me the trial insertion went o.k. The next I went back for the SCS Rep. to
program in all the settings on the "control" that came out my back. My RSD/
CRPS is in my left arm & had so the lead wires had to go threaded from my lower back all the way to my neck area. My P.M. figured the chance of 'spread" would be less if they started in my lower back.

Anyway I had 6 programs to choose from & had intense physical therapy during those 5 days. They suggested i try all the programs to see what "torture" I could withstand during therapy to try to regain range of motion in my hand and wrist. Well, some progress was made and some of the pain was replaced with the electrical impulses of the SCS.

It sucked because I couldn't shower during trial implant & I'm an extremely clean person so I took some weird measures to be clean.

Since you are so very sensitive to anything invasive, maybe you should even avoid the trial.

I decided NOT to get the permanant SCS implant 1. because it did not give me that much pain improvement over the nerve blocks. 2. because I've read that the permanent implant of the SCS is more of a true "surgery". To me I'm afraid the CRPS/RSD would have a way better chance to spread becau8se of that. 3. I've read that multiple surgeries are required sometimes because of "lead migiations" or batteries burning.

Please do research for your self and talk to your wife. Everyone's experience is different. Some people are grateful for the pain relief provided by the SCS even if a few years later they have it removed.

Di
Brambledog (12-21-2013), RSD ME (12-22-2013)