View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

The rate of infusion yesterday, should have no consequences today.

The patient is essentially monitored at the time for a 'reaction' to antibodies from foreign donors, just like in a blood transfusion.

You see reactions, that are lifethreatening, almost immediately in transfusions....sometimes it is just to rapid of an administration rate...they just slow it down...usually this is preceeded by a severe headache or drop in BP.

A reaction, is not a bad thing in IVIG, it is just the body's response to this ton of foreign antibodies. It can be totally normal.

Now the detective work comes in as to whether or not he acquired an infection as opposed to having a normal reaction to IVIG. Some folks don't get fevers, I never had one...no problems what so ever, some folks do.

Blood pressure drops are indicative of a blood product reaction...that is why the nurse is supposed to monitor that while transfusing.

Stop posting, take a rest. Calm down...this is all manageable...

Call your neurologist. Ask to speak with her/his nurse. Tell her what happened. Don't go taking his temp every 5 minutes....every half hour will do...parameters change constantly you just need a trend. No more than every 15 minutes, you hear??? Mel, it is going to be fine.

I have horrible ear pain for some darn reason...(I mowed two acres on my garden tractor in hurricane force winds yesterday and I don't know if that is it, but I can hardly stand it and I maxed out my pain meds...I just happen to see the neuro tomorrow...he is going to be an ENT, lol) I am trying to keep an eye on posts, then lying down, then posting, then lying down...it is always something.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote