Thread: Random Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 09:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes, I do believe in karma...but not in the sense that some people do; that we are subject to some sort of vengeful universe or higher order that metes out "justice" and "benefits" according to deservance.

I believe that karma is no more than the law of cause + conditions, resulting in an predictable effect. Just like if one has a wheat seed (the cause), and plants it in a sunny location, then waters it (the conditions), the result will be a wheat sprout and not an oat sprout. If they then continue to water and tend (conditions) that sprout (a new seed of potential), that the predictable result will be a mature wheat plant bearing more wheat seeds.

Thus if one has the seed of compassion in their heart (and I think that all people do), and they cultivate that by engaging opportunities to express it toward others, that the predictable result will be an increased sense of compassion, not only within themselves, but potentially in others. For those that they have expressed it to might go on to express it to others in turn.

Then if those who have gone on to express it toward others, cultivate it further and continue to do so, they will experience an expanded sense of it. The predictable result will be more people who are the recipients of it. If they then go on to both experience and cultivate it, the end result will be a greater number of compassionate individuals.

Just like if the harvest of wheat seeds from one plant gets replanted in the sun and is watered, and that those that are produced as a result of that, also get replanted in the sun and are watered, the predictable result will eventually be a field of wheat.

Now of course this is an over simplified explanation of what I believe, because as every gardener knows, even with the best seed and all of the conditions brought into play to support the sprouting and eventual maturity of that seed, sometimes a more powerful & influential condition can inhibit or even destroy a seed, sprout, plant and potential harvest along the way. For seeds and plants it can be something as simple as an out of season frost, foraging mice or browsing deer.

In the case of cultivating compassion in people, it seems that a sense of being more important or more deserving than someone else can be a more powerful influence. Thus, just because someone expresses compassion, does not necessarily mean that they will always be the recipient of it from others. That depends on the conditions and which is more powerful & influential .

Remaining mindful of and making "those conditions" less powerful & influential is my greatest challenge.

With love, Erika

Last edited by Erika; 12-22-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: added last sentence
Erika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (12-25-2013), Kitty (12-22-2013), SallyC (12-21-2013)