Old 05-23-2007, 04:25 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Back again,

Hi All,
Back again from holiday in Crete, a Greek island in the Med. Got quite
a good tan, and had a great time. I did not have any help at the airports, and actually was able to swim again in the pool which belonged to the villa that we rented. I thought I had had my last swim when we were in Tahiti in March. My arms are very weak from my dislocated shoulder due to a fall some time back. The roads are dreadful, very narrow and sheer precipices on one side in the mountainous region we were in.
In a restaurant, there was an elderly man who clearly had PD, which was confirmed by a chat with the waitress. He was a relative of the restaurant owner, and towards the end of the evening, she tried to get him up and go upstairs to bed. He stood up and imediately froze, and nothing could persuade him to move. However, I was amazed to see the lady owner stand directly in front of him, and grip his hands with hers. Then she walked backwards, and he followed without any problems, walking in step ,with her.
Now back to work, I had 2,550 spam e-mails to deal with, and over 200 normal ones. First day back today, I had to cut the grass in the rear of the house, which is half an acre and very overgrown.
Interested in the thread where someone asked for Daffy Duck's CV. He said he would post his if everyone else did. That would be a good idea, I would be happy to publish mine.
Too many interesting threads to comment on until I have time, will post an article which says, "The BBB was thought to be intact in neurodegenerative illnesses such as AD & PD, ......... but recent evidence argues otherwise."
On the thread on stress, we should bear in mind that it causes the BBB to be more permeable, allowing toxins which normally circulate harmlessly in the blood stream to enter the brain. Remember the story about the Israeli army who were given drugs which do not normally pass the BBB. The stress of battle caused them to have neurological damage due to an opening of the BBB.
Rick mentions alpha lipoic acid as one of his favourite supplements.
This is one of a group of compounds which tighten down the pores of the BBB, making the membrane more like that of a normal person who does not suffer PD symptons.
Ron
Ronhutton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote