View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Burning mouth syndrome , my cure

After a nearly 3 year battle of mouth pain, I am finally back to normal.

First and formost let me plead to anyone, do not use the internet to find a cure for your health problems. I did this and it almost killed me. Keep in mind that no one on internet posts like this have any medical background and most people enter posts when they are in panic mode, they almost never go back and post that they are ok!

After being diagnosed with everything from burning mouth syndrome, to MS. to Trigeminal Neuralgia and ending up in a psych ward because of Lyrica suicidal side effects I have finally got to the bottom of all this.

I have been to 7 different dentists and none have a clue. So here it is:

Many of the dentists said burning mouth syndrome is not real, not to say the symptoms aren't real, just saying that your mouth doesn't burn just because their is some fantom mysterious Illness out there.... there is a reason for it.

And 9 times out of ten it is related to your teeth. Teeth or sinuses. In my case, it was my sister who finally figured it out. She is a nurse practitioner and she was convinced it had to do with me clenching my teeth at night. So she tried to do a little test. First she injected Botox into my masseter jaw muscles then she had me take muscle relaxers 3 times a day for 3 days. Bam, almost no pain, first time in a year.

Next, I have been fitted for a TNI mouth guard that just fits on the front incisors. This eliminated the teeth from clenching at night. Since then I am pain free!!!! CURED

The clenching was actually forcing my upper teeth directly into my trigeminal nerve causing irritation and referred pain and burning sensation.

One last note: If your are taking an anti-depressant then clenching is a side effect. see: BRUXISM, they are also finding it to be a major cause of migraine headaches and Botox is becoming a popular treatment.
dblue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burnl (03-04-2014), hopeful (12-30-2013)