View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi sweetbee,

Endontists do not due restorative dentistry. They only do root canals. Meaning they do not do the build up, crown or filling. A general dentist or prosthodontist do restorative dentistry like build ups, fillings, crowns etc.
Some also perform root canals.

Regarding replacing the original crown..... if the dentist drilled through the crown to do the root canal, the integrity of the crown has been compromised and the fit will not be the same as it was originally. However, some dentists try to save the patient money by patching up the access hole in the crown.

A couple of things that the dentist may or may not have informed your mom about. One is that this tooth is permanently compromised due to the bacteria that will continue to harbor inside of the tiny microscopic canals. Two, investing in a new crown on this tooth may not be worth it in the long run.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbee View Post
This question is not for me but my mom. If a back tooth already has a crown in place but needed a root canal does it need a new crown after? Her gen dentist recommended either a permanent filling or a new crown with post and build up and said it depended on her what she wanted to do. She had a root canal done by a specialized endodontist. Which one would last longer? It has been a long time since I had a root canal myself and I thought that endodontists were usually the ones who did the post core and build up? I am a little wary of a general dentist doing a post core and build up since my only failed root canal was because a general dentist had done a root canal for me. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote